Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bloodgusher 5K Race

I ran my second 5k race today and won 1st place overall female with a time of 23:10. I had hoped for under 25 minutes, so I surprised myself! The weather was mid-40s, overcast, with little to no wind. It may not have been great weather for the spectators, but it was perfect for running. I started off in the top 20-30 runners and decided to just try to pass up the women one by one. I stayed neck and neck with 2 of them for awhile which helped motivate me to maintain my pace. As we came up on 2 miles, I saw that there were fewer than 10 people left ahead of me, 2 of them women. I was able to pass the last one during the last 3/4 mile. I was hurting towards the finish but stuck it out. There will be another 5K in Midland in mid-April, and I might even do one in Big Spring in 2 weeks. I also plan to begin training for a 10K in the fall.







3 comments:

bmbooshay said...

First off I would like to say, congratulations. Wow that must have cold to breathe, forty degrees? Here in my hometown, we host the iron man and iron woman, which is new for us this year, but I do not run them or even attempt to. The training the participants have to go through is crazy and rigorous. They have to adjust to the humidity and temperature by practicing in the city before the competition. Everyone is from everywhere. I volunteered for the iron man, and everyone seems to have an accent or could not speak English. I think it’s cool how an athletic competition can bring people together. Good luck on your future running competitions.

KIRAN LIGHT said...

that is AWESOME! congrats!

PapaWes said...

You are one incredible mama. May your children follow in your footsteps, literally!