Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Texas Round-Up 10K

Last weekend we traveled to Austin to run the Texas Round-Up race. It was Matt's first 10K. We got up early on Saturday to drive downtown. Unfortunately for us, it was already 73 degrees and 88% humidity at 6:00 a.m. Good ol' Austin weather. I guess I had forgotten. I had also apparently forgotten the meaning of the phrase "hill country", so I was surprised to find the course filled with heartbreaking hills. I think Matt fared much better than I did since he set out to have fun. I stubbornly tried to hold onto my goal, but knew I had to let it slip away before the 2nd mile was finished. From that point on, it was a struggle to survive. I finished in 48:59, 10th out of 112 women in my age group. Matt finished in 55:45, 55th out of 97 in his age group. We had a lot of fun just experiencing a big city event. There were 1164 runners in the 10K, a far cry from the number that turn out for Midland races.
The kids enjoyed a a McDonald's breakfast and some live music (see Morgan's Matt-like dance moves below). They also had fun in Liberty Hill playing in the playhouse, going on walks, helping to fill the bird feeders, and refusing to pose for pictures! On the way home we did pull over for the obligatory bluebonnet photos. And we actually got them to glance our way for a minute.



Morgan wows the crowd with his moves...

I thought this was such a great shot with the Capitol in the background...

Here I am, hurting bad...



Matt's got his game face on...

...and a nice finishing kick!



The aftermath...


This shot gives a little glimpse at the hilly terrain.



Emma wouldn't look at the camera, and was quite proud of herself for it.

Morgan is always ready to help.



We got them to look at us!


1 comment:

PapaWes said...

PapaWes, GG, and Kate were glad yall could come for a visit. We'll see about getting you a run on some of our more level ground, though it is hard to come by.